Reply To: The George and Dragon inn Back street

#28943
Warning: foreach() argument must be of type array|object, bool given in /home/customer/www/hexhamhistorian.org/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pmpro-bbpress/pmpro-bbpress.php on line 256
class="loop-item--1 user-id-0 bbp-parent-forum-152 bbp-parent-topic-28769 bbp-reply-position-2 even topic-author post-28943 reply type-reply status-publish hentry pmpro-has-access">
Mark+Benjamin
Guest

George & Dragon, St Mary’s Chare. Once one of Hexham’s most popular free houses, known for the fine clog dancers and singers who entertained there; a haunt of “ladies of ill repute”. 1822-1828/9 George Little; 1834 Alexander Whyte; 1841 Richard Dinning; 1847-1864 Hannah White or Whyte; 1886 John Coulson. Closed in 1937. The roofed-in courtyard housed The Fandango Nightclub in the 1970s & 1980s, the first night-club in the North-East, with access cut through the old abbey wall to the west. Courtyard roof removed in the early 21st century to create a variety of commercial premises