Reply To: Mrs Harrison's Boarding House

#3575
Warning: foreach() argument must be of type array|object, bool given in /home/customer/www/hexhamhistorian.org/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pmpro-bbpress/pmpro-bbpress.php on line 256
class="loop-item--1 user-id-0 bbp-parent-forum-152 bbp-parent-topic-3566 bbp-reply-position-2 even topic-author post-3575 reply type-reply status-publish hentry pmpro-has-access">
Jennifer Britton
Guest

Given that you say the cattle dealers stayed there, the boarding house is quite likely to have been close to the Auction Mart.

The 1939 register shows that The County Hotel in Priestpopple was run by a 58 -year-old Elizabeth HARRISON and her daughter Louise. The Auction Mart was right behind The County.

Going back to the 1911 census Elizabeth and family were living on the opposite side of Priestpopple at number 46, and the house was listed as a cafe. Elizabeth’s husband Jasper died in 1918 and perhaps she took in boarders before moving to take over The County? The 1911 census indicates that the house had 8 rooms, so it’s a possibility. Elizabeth and Jasper (a watchmaker by trade) had been in the hotel business before: in 1891 they were living in Newcastle upon Tyne and Jasper was described as a ‘hotel proprietor’.

Kelly’s Directory indicates that Elizabeth was running a cafe/dining rooms at 46 Priestpopple until at least 1929, and that she was proprietor of The County Hotel from at least 1934 onwards.

She died on 19th December 1952, at The County Hotel.