Hexham (old) Bus Station/Commercial Place query

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by Alan R Hall.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Warning: foreach() argument must be of type array|object, bool given in /home/customer/www/hexhamhistorian.org/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pmpro-bbpress/pmpro-bbpress.php on line 256
    class="loop-item-0 user-id-0 bbp-parent-forum-152 bbp-parent-topic-152 bbp-reply-position-1 odd post-29992 topic type-topic status-publish hentry pmpro-has-access">
    Alan R Hall

I wonder if anyone can help. Some colleagues and I who follow a particular website dedicated to old (usually ’60s or before) buses, trams and trolleybuses have been trying to date a photograph of the old bus station showing at least one of Cecil Moffit’s buses. We believe we’ve probably got the possible timescale down to 1939-1946 but would like to narrow that down still further if that’s possible.

The photograph shows, in the background, a café at the top of Commercial Place, in front of and at right-angles to what I call the Abbey Press building – i.e. the whitewashed building above The Coffee Cup which I don’t think is occupied at present.

This is a long shot, but I wonder if anyone could possibly provide a name for the café during WWII, or immediately prior to, or immediately after, the war. If anyone happened to know the dates between which it functioned as a café, that would be wonderful, but I don’t expect miracles! Any help at all would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

#30023 Reply
    Mark Benjamin

We know that Refreshment Rooms by Emmerson & Robson existed on the west side of Commercial Place between 1934 and 1955, so I suspect that’s the name you’re looking for!

#30026 Reply
    Alan R Hall

Thank you, Mark. That’s a very great help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Hexham (old) Bus Station/Commercial Place query
Your information: