Hexham is a town with a long and fascinating history. Over the years many aspects of its past have been written about in articles in our journal, the Hexham Historian, and other occasional publications. Relevant links to some of these resources are given in the pages within this section:
- A brief overview of Hexham’s history
- Descriptions of some of the notable historical areas and buildings in the town
- How well do you know Hexham buildings and their features? Test your knowledge here.
- The HLHS Photograph Archive
- A timeline of some of the events in Hexham’s past
- Do you know something about Hexham’s history, or do you want to ask a question? Use the Notes & Queries Forum to get in touch
- Try a virtual tour of historic Hexham’s Market Place and Abbey as they might have appeared in 1852 (needs Adobe Flash Player to be enabled in your browser)
- Links to other sources of historical data for the area
- I Didn’t Know That – contains a gallimaufry of Hexham history-related information.