St Mary’s RC Church Gallery
Roman Catholic Chapel, Burn Brae, Hencotes
- 1797: Chapel on the upper storey with organ and gallery.
- 1827: Hencotes Dominican and Cockshaw Secular missions amalgamated.
- 1830: services ceased when St Mary’s opened; then used as presbytery for the minister.
- 1988: sold for residential purposes; now called Middlemarch.
Roman Catholic St. Mary The Virgin, Hencotes
- 1830: opened; to a plan furnished by Father Michael Singleton, its priest. In Gothick style, with a gallery. “Convenient burying ground” attached.
- 1829: Catholic Emancipation Act. 1850: RC bishops and dioceses established.
- 1858: Sisters of Mercy arrived, convent built.
- 1979: in preparation for its Jubilee and 150 years of priests in Hencotes, the church was completely renovated and re-consecrated.
Further explanation of the overall information that a Gallery shows can be found by clicking here (opens in a new tab in your browser).
This gallery displays thumbnails of the images in the gallery:
- Shows additional images as you scroll down
- Hover over a thumbnail on a computer (or the equivalent on a touch-screen device) to see the caption associated with that image
- Click on a thumbnail to see the full image, and to enable you to view the sequence of full images
- Close a full image via the white cross at top-right
- Click here to view the Gallery
There may be other galleries in the Photo Archive related to this gallery. Click here to go to the section containing links to Related Galleries.
A collection of links to information related to this gallery. Click here to go to the Additional Resources section.
Click on a button below to open that gallery.
Additional resources links will open in a separate tab in your browser:
- None as yet