St Camillus Hospital Gallery
This gallery contains photos of what was St Camillus Hospital off Oakwood Bank.
- 1899 Building of the The Priory in 41 acres of land commenced (builders Kirk and Brown of Newcastle), initiated by Canon Sidney Savage, Rector of Hexham Abbey (1898 to 1919), as the Abbey did not have a Rectory
- 1901 Canon Savage and family moved in on 19th August
- 1939 When the Savage family left Hexham Canon Savage leased the house to Miss Marianne Straker, who lived there until 1939
- 1946 Canon Savage sold the property to Henry and Tabitha Peart who converted the house into the Priory Hotel.
- 1949 Sold to the Order of St Camillus, a Roman Catholic nursing order and became the St Camillus Hospital
- 1998 The order left the house
- 1998 until 2000 The property was empty. In 1999 it was put on the market with plans to make it into a ‘prestige hotel’ but presumably these plans never materialised
- 2000 Sold to the Cancer Bridge charity
- 2006 Cancer Bridge left. The property then was unoccupied for many years. Eventually it was taken over by the charity Betel and is (currently) called Betel House.
Further explanation of the overall information that a Gallery shows can be found by clicking here (opens in a new tab in your browser)
This gallery displays thumbnails of the images in the gallery:
- Shows additional images as you scroll down
- Hover over a thumbnail on a computer (or the equivalent on a touch-screen device) to see the caption associated with that image
- Click on a thumbnail to see the full image, and to enable you to view the sequence of full images
- Close a full image via the white cross at top-right
- Click here to view the Gallery
There may be other galleries in the Photo Archive related to this gallery. Click here to go to the section containing links to Related Galleries.
A collection of links to information related to this gallery. Click here to go to the Additional Resources section.
c1912: The Priory, Hexham. Looking NW
1969: St Camillus Hospital, Hexham. Monochrome; aerial view looking NE
1985: St Camillus Hospital, Hexham. Colour; aerial view looking N
1992: St Camillus looking E
1992: St Camillus, front door
2001: St Camillus entrance hall
2001: St Camillus ground floor sitting room
2001: St Camillus ground floor main staircase
2022: Canon Sydney Savage's coat of arms (c1912) above the doorway of Betel House (originally The Priory)
Click on a button below to open that gallery.
Additional resources links will open in a separate tab in your browser: