Tap & Spile Gallery
The Tap & Spile pub on the corner of the Eastgate junction with the Cattle Market/Battle Hill is the subject of the photos in this gallery. Starting in c1900 as the Criterion Inn facing Battle Hill, with a confectioners shop occupying the Eastgate corner, the Criterion Hotel occupied the whole site by 1925, and renamed the Tap & Spile by the 1990s.
Further explanation of the overall information that a Gallery shows can be found by clicking here (opens in a new tab in your browser).
This gallery displays thumbnails of the images in the gallery:
- Shows additional images as you scroll down
- Hover over a thumbnail on a computer (or the equivalent on a touch-screen device) to see the caption associated with that image
- Click on a thumbnail to see the full image, and to enable you to view the sequence of full images
- Close a full image via the white cross at top-right
- Click here to view the Gallery
There may be other galleries in the Photo Archive related to this gallery. Click here to go to the section containing links to Related Galleries.
A collection of links to information related to this gallery. Click here to go to the Additional Resources section.
The Battle Hill and Cattle Market galleries may contain additional glimpses of the Tap & Spile pub. Click on a button below to open that gallery.
Additional resources links will open in a separate tab in your browser:
- None as yet