Fellside Site Gallery
This gallery contains photos of the various schools that have occupied the Fellside site to the south of Hexham.
- 1910: Fellside Grammar School opens, separate schools for boys and girls
- 1931: Hexham Senior School opens in the newly-build Beaumont Building
- 1944 – 1966: Senior School renamed as Hexham County Modern School, possibly with Secondary added to the title at some stage
- 1945: October, advert in Newcastle Journal for Clerk to Governors of Hexham County Modern School salary £15 per annum
- 1959: November article in Newcastle Journal, Headteacher of Hexham County Secondary School, welcoming reduction in class sizes from 41 to 29 due to additional classrooms
- 1965: Grammar school moves to Whetstone Bridge Site. Fellside building still used by first and second year forms
- 1972: November advert in Newcastle Chronicle for Head of Rural Studies to CSE Mode 3, Hexham Secondary Modern School -“provision for livestock’
- 1975: First intake of comprehensive (3-tier) system. Hexham children went to Beaumont Middle, and children from outside the town went to Fellside Middle.
- 1976 – 1982: Secondary school in Beaumont Building becomes Beaumont County Middle School
- c1977: Fellside becomes Middle School
- 1984 – 2021: Fellside and Beaumont Middle Schools merge to become Hexham Middle School
- 1997/8: Orchard block hosting year 5 expanded
- 1999: September, uniform changed from red to green after student vote on choice
- 2021: Fellside site closed and school moved to the Whetstone Bridge site
Further explanation of the overall information that a Gallery shows can be found by clicking here (opens in a new tab in your browser).
This gallery displays thumbnails of the images in the gallery:
- Shows additional images as you scroll down
- Hover over a thumbnail on a computer (or the equivalent on a touch-screen device) to see the caption associated with that image
- Click on a thumbnail to see the full image, and to enable you to view the sequence of full images
- Close a full image via the white cross at top-right
- Click here to view the Gallery
There may be other galleries in the Photo Archive related to this gallery. Click here to go to the section containing links to Related Galleries.
A collection of links to information related to this gallery. Click here to go to the Additional Resources section.
The Old Grammar School was the previous home of the grammar school, and the QEHS the next. Click on a button below to open that gallery.