Answer April 2020
The tiles are in one of the 6 panels that adorn the front of the Grapes at the bottom end of St Mary’s Chare.
The Grapes stands on the site of one of the town’s earliest inns, the Grapes Inn. The arms for war (2 escallops/shells and 2 fracted/broken oak branches) of Thomas, Lord Dacre from the C16 Tudor building are built into the facade, as can be seen in the photograph. He was bailiff and in charge of the government of Hexhamshire under Cardinal Wolsey.
The fine Tudor building has vanished and only a stone built into the modern inn, upon which are carved the arms of Lord Dacre, remind us of the old hostelry. Hexham, A Short History and Guide, Frank Graham, 1973, p.25.
The site has undergone major redevelopments in the last century. Here are some key dates and events in the timeline, assembled from information collected by Colin Dallison:
|1860||An Inn appears on the O.S. map|
|1888||A large crowd crammed into the Grapes Inn, Hexham, to watch bouts of wrestling. Hex. Cour. 13.12.2013 - 125 Years Ago.
|1890s||J.A Hedley, Licensed to Retail Ale, Spirits & Wine. This can be seen in one of the St Mary's Chare images in the photo archive.
|1898||Plans for rebuilding The Grapes public house by Henry E. G. Wilson, Architects, Newcastle, November 1898. Rebuilt stables and coach house at rear, cellar and two floors. Ground floor consisting of public bar and a wholesale bar, public sitting room, private sitting room, first floor club room, 3 bedrooms and kitchen, bathroom and w.c. off first floor landing. Deposited Building Plans, Northumberland Record Off, NRO 1150 No.299.
|1900||Refurbishment of The Grapes pub. It was reported that the pub had been given a total refit which included a solid walnut bar, a grill room upstairs, and a yard which could accommodate 12-15 horses. Hex. Cour. 17.3.2000.
|1913||The Grapes Inn, in St Mary's Chare, has been re-built. Hex. Cour. 24.5.1913 Gossip and Comment, "Ariel".
|1914||William Ross, Grapes Hotel, 1 Back Street.|